Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pontification of the Day

Surprisingly enough, as a master procrastinator, I don't do that much blog reading. I do even less commenting on the blogs I read. But, occasionally, I'll find myself having to launch my opinion into the internet ether...

Today I happened upon this blog on the Redbook magazine website (don't ask). And because I happened to have a very specific opinion about the last bit, thanks to my experience in the agency trenches, I couldn't help but leave a comment. Except the damn website keeps Error-ing me like a comment cock blocker. I refuse to let my well-worded pontification go to waste, so I'm posting it HERE:

Look, Sue Mengers was only offering the kind of astute opinion that made her legendary. She knew the biz just as well as Mr. Michaels and her success as an agent was predicated on her shrewd, informed viewpoint of how Hollywood really works. Everyone knows it's as much -- if not more -- about beauty as it is about talent. It's unfortunate that this microcosm of the professional world happens to have the greatest influence on how we, as a society, deem what is worthy of our attention and adulation. In this celebrity-obsessed era, we've forgotten that film & television is created as FANTASY. Logically, we know that we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to the lovely creatures we see on screen... but that's exactly what we do. And thus, we become fixated on how an "average" person like US has suddenly transformed into one of THEM. It's sad, but true. Thankfully, shows like UGLY BETTY are helping to change our narrow perception of this beauty ideal.


HA! Cock block that Redbook!

5 comments:

DaVida Chanel said...

Nice one!!!! Did I ever tell you how fond I am of the word "pontificate"? I used to secretly refer to one of DMc's clients as the great pontificator and one day a studio exec did as well! LOL! I miss you SOOOOOOOOOOO much! Love my granny, but you were a much hipper roommate! She keeps feeding me and of course I keep eating!!

NoHoJax said...

I have to say, I feel like you both are arguing the same side of the coin - the difference being that the Redbook chick is horrified by Ms. Mengers' statement, while you accept it as an unfortunate truth. What you agree on (I think) is that "our narrow perception of this beauty ideal" needs to be changed.

However, I think that your response is more spirited and engaging than the original post... :)

Marion said...

The great thing about the Tina Fey story is that Lorne Michaels didn't allow Sue Menger's take on Tina deter him from putting her in front of the camera. He went with his instinct. BUT, I guarantee you that he had her agent and or manager sit her down and tell her that she needed a make over in order to make it happen. That's Hollywood...love it or leave it.

DaVida Chanel said...

Hey B! Check my blog when you can ... YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!

Nuwud said...

I am well above average and intend to have a movie made about my life. Then others can feel as inadequate as they like over it. :)